We ended up staying two more days in Prideaux Haven, one of the premier anchorages in Desolation Sound Marine Provincial Park. The unsettled weather persisted, including strong southeast winds in the straits. However, it was calm in the anchorage and was a good place to stay until we had better traveling weather. Our day started out cloudy and dry, but the rain set in by mid-morning and turned into a downpour for the rest of the day…and night…and next day…and night… You get the picture.
What a change! It was clear when we woke up this morning at our Squirrel Cove anchorage on Cortes Island, Desolation Sound. The full moon was just setting above the trees to the west and it was flat calm. Soon the sun came up over the trees to the east and it was just an absolutely gorgeous morning. Reflections of nearby boats gleamed in the calm water, and it was so peaceful and quiet. Time to choose our next destination!
We arrived in Nanaimo yesterday (Sunday) and are staying here today as well. We’re tied up at Port of Nanaimo, our choice of a place to tie up where Jim can do some work on our engine. We started out across Georgia Strait in the late morning yesterday, thinking we would take advantage of a brief weather window. But after a half hour or so, we noticed that our engine was running a little hot. We decided it would be better to get to a dock and check things out before we made a 15-mile crossing of a large body of water.
We got started early yesterday, with the intent of heading out on our cruise. It was cloudy and raining slightly, but the wind conditions looked good, and we got things ready to go. After breakfast, we went up to our storeroom and got the kayak to take along. The tide was on its way up, but the ramp wasn’t too steep yet, and we got the kayak down to the boat without incident, and stowed it on deck. Then, before we got underway, I decided to call our answering machine at home to pick up any messages. What a surprise!
After our September cruising, we stayed on board Phoenix in Anacortes Marina to finish the annual exterior maintenance of waxing and polishing, and get the boat ready to sit over the winter. This year we were lucky to have the long stretch of dry weather continue through the rest of September and into October. Quite unusual for this time of year, and we were grateful that we didn’t have to dodge wet weather for our outside projects!
After a calm night at anchor in Port Browning, we woke this morning to another wonderful sunrise. We decided it would be a good day to return to the U.S., and spend a couple more days in the San Juans before we had to be back in Anacortes.