We wrapped up our boating activities last week and have returned to Bend. We spent a little over a month in Anacortes working on boat maintenance and projects. We had hoped to be able to get the boat out to the islands for some late season cruising, but working on our projects took most of the time we had available to be away from home…plus we had about 10 days of really miserable weather and we had to take advantage of the good weather days to get our work done.
We have friends on the Olympic Peninsula who we don’t get to see very often, so when we’re in Anacortes, we try to get over to their side of the water to visit. It’s easy to drive to Whidbey Island and take the ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend as walk-on passengers, and have our friends meet us at the ferry dock in Port Townsend.
After a very windy and rainy weekend, the storm is finally on its way out of our area. The wind continued to gust this morning, with rain showers that were heavy at times. The wind finally died down by mid-afternoon, even though rain showers are continuing into the evening.
It was glassy calm and clear at o-dark-thirty this morning. The forecast calls for wind to fill in later in the day, but it sounds like there will be less wind in the San Juan Islands than in the Gulf Islands. Today might be a good day to get back to Anacortes.
Thankfully, it was cooler this morning. Which was great after it had been so hot for the past three days. The forecast was good, so we decided to continue south and stop at Montague Harbour. We wanted to try anchoring tonight to see if the batteries would hold a charge overnight.
This morning’s marine weather forecast for Georgia Strait was “wind light.” That’s all. There was no mention of wind direction or velocity. We can’t remember ever hearing such a short forecast. It was cloudy with fog in places and Phoenix was still soaked from last night’s rain. But it was calm in Refuge Cove and the rain had stopped, so we decided it was time to head south.