The Inside Passage is famous for big tides and fast currents. As the water floods and ebbs from the Pacific Ocean, it is constricted when it forces its way through narrow passages, called tidal rapids. There are many tidal rapids all along the Inside Passage. When we were at Dent Island, we had a chance to watch the tidal rapids in Canoe Pass from the shoreline and see how the water changed throughout the day as the currents changed direction.
Due to some of the issues on our Dent Island cruise, we got back to Anacortes Marina a few days later than we planned. Because we had to be back in Bend, we had only a few days to clean up the boat and get things in order after our cruise. The item of highest importance, needless to say, was doing more serious testing to determine the status of our house batteries.
It was glassy calm and clear at o-dark-thirty this morning. The forecast calls for wind to fill in later in the day, but it sounds like there will be less wind in the San Juan Islands than in the Gulf Islands. Today might be a good day to get back to Anacortes.
It was sunny and calm at Salt Spring Marina this morning. There was a bit of wind in the forecast, but it didn’t sound like it would be coming up until later in the afternoon. It’s a good day to leave. We picked Port Browning Marina as our next destination. Jim called them yesterday and got a reservation for a slip for tonight, with the option of cancelling if the weather wasn’t good for travel. We packed up the boat and headed for Port Browning.
It was windy when we got up this morning, and the forecast called for stronger winds all day. Decided we’d stay another day at Salt Spring Marina in Ganges. Our slip was comfortable, they had good WiFi service, and good water. The wind did blow hard all day, but we were moored with our bow into the wind, and the boat was comfortable. It was sunny and pleasant.
Thankfully, it was cooler this morning. Which was great after it had been so hot for the past three days. The forecast was good, so we decided to continue south and stop at Montague Harbour. We wanted to try anchoring tonight to see if the batteries would hold a charge overnight.